Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Untuk Kau Dan Aku (UKDA) and Antara Kau Dan Dia (AKDD) by Najwa Aiman - Comparative Study

This posting is connected to the earlier posting on the latest book by Najwa Aiman. Before reading the novel AKDD, it would be best to read UKDA first, or as I actually did, simultaneously!! Guess what? I find the UKDA more compelling (and I finished it right away!). Although I can relate more to AKDD, I find it (I have only finished half) so full of coincidence and the stories too unrealistic. UKDA on the other hand, beats around the bush a bit too much, but I guess Najwa Aiman played with the plot (and words) very well, despite irritatingly excessive usage of the word "plastik", which I've never met anyone in real life using it.
I personally find AKDD's numerous poems are rather pointless, and Najwa Aiman's attempt of exploring the characters' feelings and emotions in AKDD is a wee bit to much. He did it well in UKDA, though. However I find it rather hard to swallow that the "background" of all characters in both books are kept secret, except for Shima and Zharif in UKDA, I don't seem to know anybody else in both novels, even the main characters. For instance, if Rizmal and Idayu (in AKDD) had been an item for 5 years, couldn't he had known that she has a sister named Ilyana? Amazing ain't it?
But I must salute Najwa Aiman for his ability to candidly address the issue about openness in the relationships between the yuppies. Yes, they do spend nights at each others' home and they do hang out at those bachelors pads... boyfriends do stay at girlfriends houses/rooms.... hmm.. some might find that rather unreal but face it, it happens!!
For those who do not read Malay novels very much should not try to compare these 2 books to popular English ones but if you try to compare them to Sweet Walley Highs/Sweet Dreams, Najwa Aiman's ability to write is very much commendable. I don't get frustrated with his books like I always do reading Novel Remaja of the same genre. My suggestion is Najwa Aiman should look into "developing" the characters' background as readers need to know these people. Perhaps more thorough research should be done on a few areas as well, for instance, I find it quite curious as to why Azhar needs to do his CLP if he is a local graduate? London External? Can't be!!!
"Bungkam" and "buntang" seem to be the 2 most favourite adjectives for Najwa Aiman and I would suggest limiting them at all costs!!!
All in all, good attempt!! Keep it up!! I am giving UKDA a 3.5 star out of 5 (I actually cried at one point, so that's a plus!) and I will continue reading AKDD but so far it's a 2 star. I hope my feelings will change.
-Chiao - Pootz In Boots (lover of Malay literature)

2 comments:

Lampin said...

Wow!!!! This is neat...!!!! Wonder what Najwa aiman will say about this. Let's pray that she reads our blog.

Anonymous said...

Terima kasih! Jarang benar dapat komen sebegini, dan percayalah, sememangnya bernas dan sangat-sangat membantu saya dalam meneruskan bidang penulisan.

Terima kasih yang teramat sekali lagi dpd saya!

janji saya pada saudara/saudari bahawa saya akan mengambil iktibar setiap komen saudara/saudari berkenaan...PASTI!!!

Teruskan mengkritik! itu saja permintaan saya... ;)